Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Day 8 Jaipur Apr 11/14

In Jaipur we start with an elephant ride.  I've seen elephants in Africa, up close an personal as I've described previously.  With my friend Denise, we took a long elephant ride in Bali.  It is a washing machine, rolling kind of motion.  They are gentle giants when tame, but if they stepped on you, you would be crushed!

Then we are to watch carpet weaving and block printing.  Finally we do some touring that includes Jantar Mantar, an UNESCO world Heritage astronomical observation site.

Jantar Mantar
"The observatory consists of fourteen major geometric devices for measuring time, predicting eclipses, tracking stars in their orbits, ascertaining the declinations of planets, and determining the celestial altitudes and related ephemerides. Each is a fixed and 'focused' tool. The Samrat Jantar, the largest instrument, is 90 feet high, its shadow carefully plotted to tell the time of day. Its face is angled at 27 degrees, the latitude of Jaipur. The Hindu chhatri (small domed cupola) on top is used as a platform for announcing eclipses and the arrival of monsoons." Source: Wikipedia
Click on this:  Jantar Mantar

3 comments:

  1. The video is fascinating. What a remarkable site! I envy you getting to ride elephants - again!!!! Wow! I once had a very short camel ride, in Isreal. It was surprising as the camel rose up on his hind legs first, so that I was seated upon him facing almost straight down - far down - to the ground!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that I think watching carpet weaving and block printing will be very interesting too. The artist you will be very delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hand carpet weaving is so tedious, and they have memorized some intricate patterns. If you have been hearing the news the last couple of days, you've heard about the man who was drunk and disruptive on the plane from China, that is out flight! It's only been running since last June and it's 3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete