Saturday, 8 February 2014

Where is the Punjab?

Will we be in the Punjab?   Yes, while we are in Delhi.  

The Punjab is a geographical region in South Asia comprising vast territories of eastern Pakistan and northern India. 
Punjab literally means "(The Land of) Five Rivers" referring to the following rivers: the Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Sutlej, and Beas. 
The people of the Punjab today are called Punjabis and their principal language is called Punjabi. The main religions of the Punjab region are Islam, Sikhism, and Hinduism. Other religious groups are Christians, Jains and Buddhists.  
In 1947, with the dissolution of British India, the region was partitioned between India and Pakistan.
                  Source: Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. My rather racist neighbour call everyone from India, Pakistan and anywhere close "Punjabs" as a derogitory name - like calling all dark skinned people the n word. So I am delighted to know what the region is and what the word Punjab actually means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of research this trip, I am only beginning to understand the difference between the Sikh, Muslim, Hindu and Punjab. I had never even heard of Jainism! In school, I don't remember being taught any of this.

    ReplyDelete